St. Michael's Church War Memorial
A war memorial that was built by A.R. Adams and erected outside St. Michael's Church, St. Leonard's Road Poplar in 1920 is dedicated to men from the Parish who gave their lives to war.
The unveiling of the memorial took place on 4th December 1920 and was attended by HM The King (then HRH Duke of York.)
The memorial was inscribed with the words 'To the glorious memory of the men from this Parish who gave their lives in the Great War 1914 - 1919, their name liveth forever more.'
Archibald Richard Adams attended the unveiling of the war memorial and can be seen in the pictures above and below removing the Union Jack.
The memorial still stands today and has been updated with the names of service men who gave their lives in the Second World War.
Archibald Richard Adams A.R. Adams Funeral Directors was set up by Archibald Richard Adams when he was just 19 years old. In his lifetime he was a Justice of Peace, Council Chairman, and a Freeman of the City of London. More…
Children's War Memorial - Poplar On 13th June 1917 a bomb was dropped on Upper North Street School in the East End of London. Read the story of the bomb and the subsequent war memorial which still stands today. More…
Clara Grant - The Bundle Woman of Bow Clara Grant OBE is known as a pioneer in education in the East End of London. In 1907 the headmistress of Devons Road Primary School in Bow set up the famous Fern Street Settlement to help poor families. More…