If a death has occurred within England or Wales it must be registered within 5 days of the event occurring, unless the Coroner is involved.
If the death has been referred to the Coroner the death cannot be registered until the Coroner has completed their investigations. Once completed, they will forward your details to the Registrar and the Registrar will contact you to proceed with the registration.
What The Registrar Will Ask
When making an appointment to register a person’s death you will be asked the following:
- Have collected the Medical Certificate of Cause of Death or have you an appointment to collect it?
- What is the Name of the Deceased?
- Where did the the person die?
- What was the date of death?
- What is your name and connection to the deceased?
- You will be asked to provide your contact information.
When attending the appointment you will need to be able to provide the following information:
- Medical certificate of Cause of Death.
- Full name of the deceased.
- Maiden name (if applicable).
- The date and place of the deceased’s birth.
- Date and place of their death.
- Their last occupation.
- If they receive any state pension or benefits and the reference numbers, if available.
- If the deceased was married you will be asked the name and occupation of their spouse and the spouse’s date and place of birth.
- If the deceased’s medical card is available to take to the appointment this should be taken. However this is not mandatory.
Local Registration Offices
All appointments can be made via the Essex registration switchboard: 0845 603 7632
Alternatively you can book you appointment online via Essex County Council
For deaths in Southend Hospital or Southend District call: 01702 215009
Please select from the drop downs below for addresses and opening times for the local registration offices.
South Benfleet Registration Office
South Benfleet Library,
264 High Road, South Benfleet,
Essex SS7 5HD
Open: Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday:
9:00am – 5:00pm
Basildon Registration Office
St Martin’s Square,
Open: Monday to Friday, 9:00am to 5:00pm
Rayleigh Registration Office
132-134 High Street, Rayleigh,
Essex SS6 7BX
Open: Monday: 9:00am – 5:00pm
Rochford Registration Office
8 Roche Close, Rochford
Essex SS4 1PX
Southend Civic Centre
Southend Registry Office
Southend Civic Centre
Open: Monday – Friday, 9:10am – 3:45pm
Southend Hospital Bereavement Suite
Southend-on-Sea, Westcliff-on-Sea, SS0 0RY
Open: Monday – Friday: 9:15am – 4:30pm